Thursday, July 3, 2008

Nobody Said That It Don't Come Easy

After a brief post last night, hopefully I can get my playlist and backstory posted today.
Here's the set list for my summer mix.

  1. Skateaway - Dire Straits
  2. It Don't Come Easy - Ringo Starr
  3. Cocaine - Eric Clapton
  4. I Thank You - ZZ Top
  5. Love Is Strong - The Rolling Stones
  6. I'm Not Drowning - Steve Winwood
  7. Stay With Me - The Faces(Rod Stewart)
  8. Lonely Road - Paul McCartney
  9. Tempted - Squeeze
  10. Thing Called Love - Bonnie Raitt
  11. Nobody Said That It Would be Easy - Alan Jackson
  12. Glory Days - Bruce Springsteen


I started working on my mix sometime in April. My original concept was "Guilty Pleasures". It was mostly 80s pop, which was the music of summer for me growing up. I had the idea that we could take the mix contest global and that anyone could be a judge. When I learned we'd have mostly the same judges as before, I sweated and rushed to make the mix more grown-up sounding. Less "guilty" but just as pleasurable. It wasn't working, but I couldn't think of a better idea. Finally, about a week and a half before the deadline I had the idea to do a blues-rock mix. After all, Lazy Acres mixes were mostly blues-rock and it figured heavily in Timmay's mixes as well; and they both did better than mine. I really surprised myself with how well I knew the genre (thanks in part to my "education" from Tim and Tom). I had five songs lined up within an hour and the rest came within 3 days. I went against Tim's advice of not hitting people over the head with the same genre over and over. The way I see it I'm putting people into groove that they won't want to get out of. I made a couple winks at the judges in the mix as well. For Jack, I included "Glory Days", which he played over Adelphia's last conference call. I also hope Julie appreciated the hint of Texas twang. The effort payed off with my first ever second place finish.

2 comments:

Julie said...

You betcha! I am ready for a two-stepping lesson, ya'll! Thanks for the "wink". Actually it was a double with the inclusion of Houston, Texas rockin' band - ZZ Top! Great job! Enjoyed it.

Tom said...

Nice mix Mike. From here on out we won't share our secret sauce. ;) A short track list, which is surprising.